Here goes another update on our extremely exciting lives:
John is now working for the same company as I am. He's primarily based out of a lab, but also visits the mine-sites to complete audits on the leach fields. He has an awesome schedule- straight days, either working 5 eight hour shifts (0600 to 1430) M-F with weekends off, or working 4 ten hour shifts (0600 to 1630) with a day off during the week and weekends off. He also gets a paid day off for all federal holidays. It's a pretty sweet gig.
I'm still working at the lab. I am now the senior technician in my area on my crew. Basically, all that means is when we mess up, I get to take the heat for it...pretty cool, huh? Good thing we rarely screw up ;-) I have a good partner, and we are hoping to poach another tech from another crew soon. I still enjoy my work, and am looking forward to learning other parts of the lab so I can move up into a more research-based position. For now, however, I am able to keep learning different tests and processes. This keeps me relatively sane.
Collin is still enjoying school. He was able to participate in the Spelling Bee this year. His goal was to make it to nationals and be on ESPN. He made it to district, and did very well. He was upset when he was eliminated because he thought he had ruined his chances of ever making it to Nationals. After we explained to him that he will continue to compete until 8th grade, he calmed down. He's studying for next year. He's hoping to make it another level each year. He did well in soccer this year. His team wasn't the best, but they were scrappy and competitive. They were fun to watch.
Cameron really likes school this year, too. He is making good grades and reading lots of books. He fractured his radius about 6 weeks ago, and got the wonderful opportunity of wearing a cast for 4 weeks. He chose a blue one. When he originally had is put on, we were told it was water-proof....well, after 2 weeks, we decided to have it replaced because it was STINKY!!! A word to the wise....even if you are assured a cast is water-proof...keep it dry. They still stink!
Caitlyn is having fun with the social aspect of school this year. She is struggling a bit with the larger class sizes (as are all the kids, actually). Thatcher schools is cheap and/or underfunded (?), and does not believe in hiring enough teachers to assure small class sizes, so all of my children have around 25 students in their class. I don't like it, but hopefully she will adapt. She is making so many new friends. It seems like we are taking her to a new friend's birthday party every week. She is 7 going on 17, and loves clothes shopping and making her hair cute. I'm clueless on all this girly stuff, but as long as I agree to swipe my debit card she's ok with my inept self :)
Caleigh is loving pre-school! I got to attend a Thanksgiving celebration at her school, and it was sooo much fun! She is talking a lot more and really working hard on her language skills! She has really bonded with Uncle Justin (my big little brother). It's so cute to see them together. When he comes by to visit, she gets so excited and drags him around everywhere.
I am really looking forward to Christmas this year. I think I'm done with my Christmas shopping. Let's just say this isn't going to be one of those "wrap some new underoos and buy 'em a new toothbrush" kind of Christmases. I may have gone a bit overboard, but we'll survive... John's sisters and dad are coming to visit, so we are REALLY excited to see all of them!!! They'll start trickling into town Friday/Saturday...woohoo!!!!
I'm on seven days off right now, so I promise I will update with pictures :)
December 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Yeah, another update! I'm glad things are going so well for you there! What a huge relief. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Love ya and miss ya!
merry christmas!! sounds like you guys are doing great! riley still misses caitlyn and talks about her often. love you guys!
Post a Comment