March 27, 2009

My family rocks!

We had such a busy week last week. We were able to make the trip out to Arizona to visit my family, and had the best time ever! John's dad rode out with us- he has a sister in the next town over from my family- and it was so great to get to spend time getting to know him better. One thing I love about the drive home is the opportunity the drive presents to get to know the person I am traveling with better. Something about a 14-16 hour drive lends itself to conversation, and I love it!

The kids got to visit with some of the girls from the computer and are looking forward to meeting the other girls from the computer some time this summer. They had such a blast! My aunt and I stayed up late giggling and laughing one night at my grandparents' house. It was so fun to catch up after all these years! Her little family has moved around so much that we rarely had the opportunity to visit throughout the years. We moved away a couple years before they moved back instate, so our paths rarely cross any more.

My family is doing so well. My three sisters are all growing into such great young women. I can't believe all three of them are out of high school and starting to find their way in the world. Erin is working full time and taking a class or two here and there. She is one of the kindest people I know. It doesn't matter what we do together, we always have fun. I loved being able to hang out with her so much during the week. I know it was hard on her to miss so much sleep, but I really appreciate her sacrificing so we could spend so much time together! She is my favorite full blooded sister ever! Shan recently joined the LDS church, so it was so great to visit with her and to remember what it was like to actually be excited about church. The past couple years have been rough on her, so it is great to see that sparkle in her eye again. She is a very strong young woman, and I am proud of her and the choices she is making in her life. Lex was visiting from Washington, where she lives with her boyfriend. It was great to see her, too. She is such a nurturer, and it is fun to see her "all grown up". Plus, my kids love her puppy!! The boys are also doing great! Justin was able to come to town to visit. We spent St. Patrick's Day evening together- he is the best (full) brother ever! He always makes time to visit when I am in state. We went to Denny's and Wal-Mart together (pretty much the extent of the nightlife available in Thatcher!). He always has the coolest stories and is so fun to be around. Brandon is going through that "cool dude" stage- my boys think he walks on water (I had to remind them that only Obama has that ability ;-) and want to be just like him. It's so cute. I can't believe he was only 14 months old when our families met. Time definitely flies! Layton is such a crack up. On Friday, my dad and I took the kids to the mountain to ride bikes and pic nic. We got up there and were unloading, and Cameron and Brandon took off on their bikes. Cameron got going too fast, was unable to stop, and crashed HARD- hitting his head on the pavement in the process. Dad and I rushed over to him and dad carefully carried him back to the truck. While we were cleaning him up we asked him various questions (Who is your teacher? What is your name? What grade are you in? etc...) Layton pipes up and asks "Cameron, what's my name?" Cameron answers "Ty Ty". And Layton says, "Nope! You are wrong, Cameron! My name is Layton!". I think we have a future triage nurse in the family :-)

My parents all seem to be doing well. Mom is getting her computer business up and running again, so if you need a new computer or need your old one fixed, give her a call! Dad seems to be enjoying being "retired".

One of the cool things about having divorced parents is your kids end up having (at least...) four grandparents. After Cameron crashed on the mountain, I had Dad drop me and Cam off at the hospital so they could check Cameron out and double check to be sure he was ok. Dad took the rest of the kids back to his house, and before I knew it, he, Mom and Bernie were at the hospital and by our side- Kim would have been there, but she was watching the other kids. It always baffles me that people think they have to pick sides when couples they know divorce, but that is so unnecessary! There are no "sides". Even as an adult with a family of my own, having divorced parents is difficult in many ways. But it is times like this- when those you love most are able to come together and share a mutual concern and offer much needed strength and support, that you are reminded how blessed and loved you are to have the family you do. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Lyn said...

I'm always so glad to read these. You will never know the guilt I feel over the divorce. And probably will,til the day I die. I am thankful for what I have in my life today, and also, you know that Your dad and I love you kids and our grand babies with all of our hearts. It is always nice to be able to visit with him. He is an absolutely wonderful man. We get along great and have a history with our precious children and now our most most precious, precious Grandbabies. There is not a thing in this world that either of wouldn't do for any of you. You and I have had enough talks over the years, you know how I feel. I am so happy Cam is O.K. It was hard to see him in the ER. He is soooo sweet! Erin and I joke about the "turtle" thing. Today I went to get her a Soda at Sonic....it took soooooo long....she laughed and said "you and Bernie are like turtles" LOL I love you Jolyn, with all my heart. Thank you for your blogs! BTW, we missed you this weekend. Everyone says HI!!!