April 5, 2009

When it rains it pours!

I can't believe how crazy this past couple of weeks has been! We traveled out to Arizona to see my family for spring break, and while we were there, my hip and back started really bothering me. It got so bad that I could barely walk toward the end of the trip. While we were out, Cameron crashed his bike on the mountain and got pretty rattled. He couldn't remember having a sister named Caleigh or his Kindergarten teacher's name, so I took him in to have him looked at. They did a CT, and it came back negative (yippee!!), so we were instructed to watch him through the night and bring him back if needed. He ended up being just fine, just a bit rattled.

We got back in state and I went to get myself checked out. I had an MRI done and found out that I have three herniated discs in my back- two of which are mild and do not seem to be causing any problems and the third is compressing my sciatic nerve. This compression causes pain from my hip to my toes on my right side, along with numbness and a couple other nice little side effects.... It's real fun! I am one of those people who does not "do" pain meds. But these past couple of weeks, Lortab has been my best friend... I am supposed to go on Thursday to have an injection to help with the pain. I'm pretty nervous about that.

Cameron's ears have been giving him problems, so we will probably end up seeing a specialist about them. He always has ear infections, but he never has a fever or complains about them hurting, so the only way we know that his ears are infected is when they start stinking. Nice, huh?

Caleigh is teething and snotty and grumpy. What a joy.

Collin got a letter sent home from the school saying that he has failed his hearing screening. That one totally came out of left field. So we get to do more testing on that. Last night he crashed a scooter at our friends' house and ended up hitting a tree stump and getting a HUGE black eye. We set out for the ER, and they were really backed up- they were landing a helicopter, there was a whole room full of people waiting, along with a fire truck and an ambulance outside. It was crazy, so we decided to return home and wait it out. We drove back by several hours later, and when I peaked in the doors I recognized some of the same people waiting who were waiting earlier. I wish this town had an urgent care facility or something similar because I hate taking my kids to the ER just because they hurt themselves after regular office hours. Oh the joys of living in a small town.

I guess this means that Caitlyn and John are the only healthy ones in this joint! I'll give them a week! haha... not really. They can stay healthy!

I guess it is just strange that everyone is sick or hurt at the same time because we are generally a pretty healthy and accident-free bunch. I have a feeling this will be one of those months that we will look back on in a couple of years and laugh about. For now, I'm just glad we have good health insurance- and that we have met our yearly deductible ;-)

P.S. I will do a "funner" post later on...just had to gripe a bit right now!

2 comments:

Lyn said...

Just got home. Is Collin O.K.????

John and Sara Roylance said...

Jolyn - FYI, Greenville now has an after hours/urgent care place over by Wal-mart. In the new shopping area where Papa Murphy's and PetSmart are. 20 minute drive could save hours of ER waiting!
Just thought I'd share!! :)
Is Collin feeling better?