April 28, 2009

Hey Baby...Talk Nerdy to Me...

Once upon a time, when the Biological Honor Society at our small time university was filled to the brim with really cool people, we voted to have that saying printed on our club t-shirts. This was back before Baylor College of Dentistry, UT-Southwestern, Johns Hopkins, Stanford Medical School, and the med school in Galveston (UTMB? Heck, who knows, who cares, right?) robbed us of all our really cool people. Those of us who remain are all either wait-listed, working on Plan B (or C or D), or like me- studying to be high school science teachers (yippee!).

I was never one of the "cool kids" in high school. When I started back to college after Collin was born, I was that freak lady who insisted on hyphenating her last name. Oh the horrors. When we moved here, my claim to fame was being that lady with three kids who was taking all these lab science classes. How can she get anything done with all those KIDS? And did you know they're all 3 years apart? Not each...all! Like the oldest just turned 3, then less than a month later the youngest was born. Crazy!

Well, folks, I have never been cool. In. my. life. N-E-V-E-R... not in high school, not in college, never ever! And now I am happy to report that I have reached a new level of uncoolness...
istartedreadingharrypotter.
What?! You ask...
IstartedreadingHarryPotter.
huh??
I startedreading HarryPotter... That's right folks... I started reading the Harry Potter books. And that's not even the nerdy part. i like them. That's right...I like them! As in, I started reading them last week and am already about 100 pages into the 5th book.

Let me tell you...it started innocently enough. Collin wants to read the first book. His reading level is 44. Quite honestly, I have no idea, nor do I care to know what that actually means. All I know is he is in an advanced reading class with all the other university-employed/affiliated, non-native C-town kids. The goal for the entire year is to read at a level 16. He was there after the first six weeks. But anyway...he told me he wanted to read the first Harry Potter book, so having previously heard horrible things about the book, I decided to read it first.

And now I am hooked.

So tell me...what's your nerdy little secret?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, now we know why we haven't heard from you in so long! :)

Lyn said...

aahhh my little nerd. You make me laugh. you are cooler than you think. People look up to you. Many, Many people....live in this Valley, I hear it daily. I'm proud of you. Collin is so smart, just like his mom. He told me the other day on the phone that if he reads all summer he can be up to 100 by the time school starts. so so sweet, the goals of a 7 year old....I never got into Harry Potter, but maybe I'll try. Thanks for you blogs!!! Miss you BAD!