March 10, 2010

Hello, my name is Fat

Alright all. I've come to a realization. I'm FAT. Like, really, really fat. I've known it for a while, but these past couple of days I have finally decided to do something about it. I've been watching The Biggest Loser on TV, and quite frankly, those fellow fatties have inspired me! I've only watched one other season, but it was right about the time I had my first or second child, and while I was somewhat big, (I had about 10-15 pounds to lose to feel comfortable) I mostly remember being repulsed by those fat people on the TV. I couldn't understand how they had let themselves get so darn FAT! Well, several years, a college degree, a couple kids, and a whole lotta' living later, I UNDERSTAND! It happens one pound at a time. One candy bar at a time. And now I am officially one of them. (dun, dun, duuuuun!!!) So I started walking. This morning I set out on my first brisk walk. After about 35 minutes on the track at my lovely university, a nice gentleman from the athletic department rode over on his golf cart and informed me that I needed to leave- that the track was only for athletes, and was most definitely not for women pushing strollers. Seriously?!? I hate athletic departments. He told me about another track in town that welcomes fat women with strollers, so I will try that one out tomorrow.

After returning home, I decided to set out again on another adventure. Caleigh and I walked to the city park, then back home. After walking on the city sidewalks, I have decided that either A) The city needs to get them up to code or B) I need to invest in a much better stroller. Seeing as the attitude in Texas tends to be rather conservative and resistant to change, I'm leaning toward B. So if you have any recommendations on jogging strollers, please send them my way. I don't care if we've never met and you just happened upon my little blog, if you know anything about jogging strollers, spill it (please and thank you).

Anyway, as far as my weight loss goals, my goal weight is 150, but realistically, I'll be more than ecstatic with anything under about 165. Basically, if I can get back into the mid 100's and start running 3-4 miles at a time, I'll be happy with it. After I graduated from high school, I was a bit of a running fool, and to be honest, I miss running. I also miss strength training- the violent clang of the weights, the grunting, and especially that wobbly feeling your legs get when you've maxed them out, and you don't quite know if you'll be able to walk out of the gym without falling on your face. Ahhhh....I miss it all. A new gym just opened up in town, so I am going to check it out, too. They offer 24 hour access, so that will be very nice.

So internet, you get to keep me accountable. And to my lovely readers (all 7 of you!) I apologize in advance if this whole weight loss/ exercise talk gets tedious or boring. You'll still love me, right?

"Goals that are not written down are just wishes. "~ Unknown

3 comments:

Eileen said...

From a fellow fat fattie, I have to say that I have been inspired to do something about it as well. Of course, I'm only getting fatter till June when I pop this baby out, but I'm limiting myself now so that I don't gain too much baby weight and it seems to help slow it down. It's kinda tough to admit we let this happen to ourselves, but I'm proud of you for assessing your situation and making the positive changes you feel are necessary! Love you cuz!

Mama Hen said...

Thanks Eileen! It's weird because I don't necessarily "feel" fat. Cognitively, I *know* I am, but I feel sexy and loved and valued by so many different people that I don't necessarily *think* about it. But then I fold my HUGE clothes or catch a glimpse of that fat lady in the mirror and realize "OMG- THAT'S ME!!!!" After you have the baby, we'll have to keep each other motivated! Love you lots!

Lyn said...

I love your blogs!!!!