January 26, 2011

Book 1 "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood

This year, one of my goals is to read more. Originally, I wanted to focus mainly on "The Classics", but I have to be realistic... some of that crap is really boring. Instead, I decided to just focus on reading more, then maybe next year throw in more classics.

I have heard over and over again how great Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" is, how it really makes you think, and how it makes you feel glad to live in the time we do, but cautious for the future, blah, blah, blah. Atwood's use of Biblical and religious justification for this future civilization's way of life was fascinating, as through these two avenues women were stripped of their rights and freedoms. But at the same time, the novel felt like a rehashing of "1984" and "The Giver", both of which I felt were written better and also kept my interest much better.

I give this book a nice solid C+. It was a quick read. I enjoyed the religious overtones and the use of religion as a means of justifying grossly unjust behavior. This made me think and examine the role of religion in my own life, and in my own society. If the book wasn't so much like 1984, I could have even given it a B.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Well, if you're looking for a classic that's not boring, may I recommend: "Pudd'nHead Wilson" & "Those Extraordinary Twins", both by Mark Twain. Also "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton, and "Rebecca" by Daphne DuMaurier. Rebecca was too suspenseful for me, but you might like it. If you need more let me know ;) Our book club did classics for two years, so I've got a good list going! :)

Mama Hen said...

I just noticed your comment! I'll check those out! We're getting a kindle sometime soon, so we will have free classics at our fingertips :) Thanks, Ashley!