"The other Boleyn girl" by Philippa Gregory is historical fiction. It is set during the 16th century, during the reign on Henry VIII. This novel was surprizingly enjoyable. I have never read historical fiction, but I look forward to reading more after reading this book. This book is told from Mary Boleyn's point of view, and examines issues of classism, sexism, and plenty of other ism's while never feeling "textbooky". There is plenty of sex in this novel, but absolutely no graphic depictions of the action, which I appreciate. Sex is a "fade to black" phenomenon in this novel.
Gregory's Mary is very likeable- she is a thinker, but also a hopeless romantic. Anne, her sister, is abrasive and will stop at nothing to get what she wants.
When the 664 page novel was over, I found myself wanting more. I wanted to know what else happened to Mary and her children. Maybe I'll google her ;-)
I give this book an B+/A-. It was a great book, but I'm not totally sure if I would read it again. I will be reading more of the author's works.
January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment