March 10, 2011

Battle of the Bath

Baths are a part of life. Nobody will dispute this. In the winter, I've noticed my children require less frequent bathing. Every other day or even every third day seems to do the trick for most of my children. I have one who needs a shower every day. One could probably get away with twice a week. One sneaks off and starts the bath regularly. But then there's one, the one, who loudly, splashingly, and violently opposes any form of bathing. When I tell this child to wake up and get into the bath, the child snuggles deeper and deeper into the bed covers. When I take them off, a wild roar "NO!!!!!" is my answer. I drag the child out of bed, and a wrestling match ensues. "No, No, NO!!!!" the child yells, getting more hysterical the closer we get to the tub. Upon entering the bathroom, the child turns into a wild cat. The noise level goes through the roof, and the claws come out. Getting the child into the tub reminds me of trying to bathe my childhood pet cat. I manage to put the child into the tub, and the REAL fun begins. "You're killing me!! I'm drowning!! AGH!!! I'm dying!!!! You're choking me!!! I'm dying!!! Stop killing me!!" This continues until hair is washed and the child is removed from the tub.

Do anyone else's kids fight baths like this? Or is mine just a weirdo?

5 comments:

Ashley said...

My kids LOVE baths so we don't have that problem. We did go through a phase where showers were torture though. You should get the book "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle" and read with them...it has a "radish cure" for people who don't like baths :)

Mama Hen said...

I'll have to try that. The boys have accepted their fate, and after a bit of grumbling shower. Caleigh LOVES baths. She would stay in the bath all day if I would let her. Caitlyn is my anti-bather. It used to be just hair washing that got her all worked up...now, it's the whole shebang. Sooo frustrating :(

Ashley said...

Maybe you can bribe her with one of those Disney princess Barbies that change color in the bathtub...The girls received some of them as gifts and that is THE highlight of bathtime :)

Mama Hen said...

Good idea :) She LOOOOVES Barbie. Maybe if I get stricter about having her bathe at night, so it's not so rushed, she'll calm down a bit. You always have the best ideas :D I'll let you know how it goes!

Lyn said...

They just need Nanny to wash their hair, cuz "Nanny doesn't hurt them" hahaaha