November 3, 2008

2 down, 8 to go

We have a bit of a mouse problem this year. I was in denial for quite a while, but after one of those cute little things ran out to say "hi" during the middle of the day, while we were all sitting in the front room watching TV, I decided it was time to take action! The kids and I went to Big Box Mart and purchased some lovely sticky traps. We placed them at strategic locales throughout the house and promptly caught a 60 pounder! Well, it was Cam...oops! I unstuck him and we were back in business!

This morning, John woke the kids up and showed them the mouse we caught during the night. They thought it was really cute. I didn't. I took it outside, filled up a container with hose water, and promptly dispatched our new little friend. The kids were livid! "Can't we keep him as a pet?!" they pleaded. "NO!" I began, making the lie up as I went, "the glue is too sticky, so if we try and free him, we'll pull off his legs. This is the nicest thing we can do to him!"

He is now waiting on the curb for the garbage man to take him to his eternal resting place. The kids are at school. I am home with my conscience... I am a murderer and liar all in one day. Two down, 8 to go.

******edited to clarify Two COMMANDMENTS- lying and murder- 8 to go, not two MICE 8 to go =o) *******

1 comment:

molly said...

jolyn, this is hilarious! i hope you aren't too traumatized.