September 19, 2008

Changing Seasons

Fall is here, so it is time for my annual household declutter! I am excited. Every year flylady does her Super Fling Boogie. Basically it is a month-long event where you are encouraged to go through your house and toss out/ recycle/ give away anything in your home that you do not use or love. I love this because it gets me back on track as far as keeping my home presentable. I have pretty much decided that 6 people (4 of whom are 6 years old and younger) + 1 1006 square foot home = 1 GIANT MESS; however, it is nice to spend time going through and seeing how much extra "stuff" we have that serves no purpose other than creating clutter and making our small living space seem even smaller! It also makes me more aware of my spending habits. When I see something that I "needed" or that "was just a couple dollars" that is either unloved or torn up, I am reminded that I need to spend wisely and not introduce junk into our home.

Our home is overrun with clutter right now. Last year I got rid of about 60 bags of "stuff" (books, toys, clothes, JUNK, etc), but still saw so much that I could have tossed. This year, my goal is at least 10 bags OUT every week. I know I need to go through the kids' clothes and shoes, mine and John's clothes (we have 2-4 outfits that we mix and match and rotate, but the rest of our stuff either doesn't fit or we just don't like it! If we don't like it, I have no idea why we have it in our home!), and basically toss out JUNK. I feel motivated. I want my house to feel calm again, and it definitely doesn't feel calm when it if full of junk and clutter. It gets to the point where I feel so far behind that I don't even bother with it anymore. I'll jump in head first today and within a month my home will be back in business!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

YAY!
I LOVE decluttering. Seriously, I offer to do it to my friends houses because it justs THRILLS me to get rid of unnecessary stuff. I do at my house about every 2-3 months, so I can't usually come up with more than one bag at a time to get rid of.
I wish I was there. I would come help you and it would be so fun.:)

Mama Hen said...

Last year was the first time I REALLY decluttered my home, and I was amazed at how much STUFF I got rid of. I went through our old blankets (Do I NEED 4 comfortors for my bed? Especially when 2 are torn up and I don't sew??), the kids' toys, my old prom dresses (really, who needs dresses from the late 90s??), stuff from high school, stuff from undergrad (class notes, textbooks I saved "just in case", notebooks, workbooks, etc, etc, etc...), church stuff, old magazines, old books, John's junk, my junk, the kids' junk, knick knacks I hated, but kept displayed because "someone GAVE that to me, I can't get rid of it!", old ratty towels, movies, dvds, stuff I inherited from my parents' divorce- you get the idea. I can't wait to do it again!