January 28, 2009

What a "cool" day!

The kids did not have school today because of an ice storm. I love it when this happens- I just wish our district would make its decisions earlier- they waited until 7:30 to "officially" close school. Before that, it was only going to be a late start day.

We decided to keep the dish for a while, but we are using the university's internet. It is ok, except it ties up the phone lines. Oh well, nobody calls us during the day that we want to talk to anyway :)

I had the kids watch the inauguration. I explained to them that this was an especially special inauguration year because President Obama is our first black president. They didn't see what was so neat about that. Our town is about 40% black (give or take) so they have many black friends. I explained to them that not many years ago, black children and white children were not allowed to attend the same schools. The "black" elementary school from the days of segregation is still standing, so I drove them by it and explained to them that if they had been born years ago, their black friends would have attended this school, and they would have attended their school. We went on to talk about separate drinking fountains, separate rest rooms, and many of the other "separate, but equal" aspects of our former society. They could not believe our country had such stupid rules! My heart swelled with pride as I heard them exclaim things like, "But mom! Why would they think that?" "So I really wouldn't be able to see my friends at school, just because we're different colors?! That's so stupid!" "So Kiera wouldn't get to go to my pre-school because her dad is black?" Yes, kids, you are right. But thank goodness times are changing!


I am taking four classes this semester- 2 teacher prep classes and 2 biology classes. I love them so far, but I'm sure that will change as the semester progresses ;)

This week I will try to update a little more often. Also, I am going to try and upload some pictures later. This connection is so slow I want to throw the computer against the wall, but maybe I'll start an upload tonight and take a nap while it "does its thing".

No comments: