October 22, 2008

Love and Logic

When I worked at the boys' school last spring, I was introduced to Love and Logic. I really, really wanted to buy the book because it made SO much SENSE! Well, when I searched for it on the internet, and between the book and shipping, it was just a tad bit too expensive for me. Our local library also did not have it, so I added it to my mental list of things I want "one of these days".

Well, fast forward a month or so... One day, the girls and I decided to stop by Goodwill to see if they had anything worthwhile (99.99% of the time they don't, so it's a safe way to relieve my "shopping" impulse). I glanced at the many books waiting for new homes, and guess what was sitting there waiting for me....any guesses...just one? Okay, okay, I'll tell you- my very own copy of Parenting with Love and Logic! (Bet you didn't see that one coming, did you?)

I have slowly implemented love and logic into our lives, and am very happy with the results. My children are very well-behaved, but we do have our fair share of power struggles. Actually...let me rephrase that, Collin and I have our fair share of power struggles. If you know how my dad and I interacted while I was growing up, Collin and I experience that same dynamic- two very headstrong people under one roof is not pretty AT ALL! I have found that by giving him choices, our tempers rarely flare and life is much less explosive.

Thank you Love and Logic!

No comments: