Last night the kids and I put up the Christmas tree. It is a prelit one we got from Target last year during their after Christmas Sale. It looks really cute- simple white lights and a frosty the snowman skirt I picked up a couple years ago. Tonight we will add our home made ornaments along with putting up our stockings. I have a turkey roasting in the oven, along with some yummy fudgey brownies (I hope the smells don't cross-contaminate each other). The house smells heavenly, and I am really getting into the holiday season.
This holiday should be our last one as "starving students" (ha ha ha- anyone who has seen either of us lately knows there's not much starving going on in this household!! But I digress...). To be totally honest, it is bittersweet. John graduates next Saturday. This is not a very good time to be getting into the professional job market. Before the election, "everyone" told us to "check back after the election. After Obama won, the word was "check back after the first of the year". It seems like everyone who is hiring now wants "two years experience". Well, how is someone supposed to gain your highly coveted two years experience if nobody is hiring entry level workers?!
The thing is, I know everything will work out and that John will either advance within his current company or find another job. And I know that I will have no problem re-entering the job market in the Fall. I think that is exactly why this season is so bittersweet. Next year will just be so...different! I don't "do" different! I like my routine- I like knowing what to expect. Don't get me wrong, it will be nice to actually be able to afford to buy the kids the "cool toys", not just wrap up a bunch of stuff they need and call it Christmas presents. Because really, what kid actually asks Santa for a new toothbrush or for new underwear? Yours doesn't. Neither does yours? My point exactly. I am looking forward to buying a house. I look forward to being able to vacuum and actually see my vacuum lines in the nap of the carpet. I look forward to having my own bathroom and not having to wipe nasty boy pee off the seat before I potty. I want more space. I want new furniture. I want all that. But I'm ok without it. I already have what is important. I have a place to live. I have a beautiful, loving family. My kids are healthy. We have insurance. We have 2 cars. We have food. We have love. We have each other. And that is exactly what the holiday season is all about. Happy Holidays!
December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I sooooo agree on this whole post, expecially the part about graduation, starving students, not so good christmas presents, and everything you want and hope to get once your husband gets a real job!! good luck!!
Post a Comment